Sunday, March 28, 2010

Podcasting? What is that?

I had always heard the phrase podcasting, but never really knew what it was until this week. Podcasting is a way to share anything by video with sound and images with the World Wide Web, but with podcasting those who find your podcasts can take them with them anywhere by using a media device. The first thought I had when learning about podcasting was how our students already know what this is because several television shows are based around children doing web shows. One of those shows is called iCarly on Nickelodeon and it is a very popular show with elementary students. If we were to refer to these shows when using it in the classroom, the students would probably get excited. As a class we could create a web show that we shared with other schools in our district and vice versa.


All of the things we have been learning about are similar in the fact that they can be used as instructional tools to enhance communication with anyone around the world or right there in our home town. Podcasting with students comes with certain restrictions and the teacher will have to check to see if the parent signed the form to allow their student to be involved in technological activities that will be seen by the public or not.

I do have a MP3 player and now an iPhone that has an iPod on it. I have always used them for music. I like the idea of using MP3 players in the classroom. I know they can be expensive and may not be in the school’s budget, but I plan to find ways of using my own with my students. By using my own and not allowing them to take it home there are advantages and disadvantages. I would be able to monitor what is on the MP3 players thus keeping the students from using it in any inappropriate ways. This would not be helpful for students who need the extra time listening or watching the information at home or in the car.


LeFever, L. (Producer). (2009). Podcasting in plain english. [Web]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDLqu0d-z8o

No comments:

Post a Comment